Sunday, April 20, 2014

Poet-Tree

Every spring, I teach a poetry unit that ends up resulting in a beautiful collection of Mother's Day poems for each student's mom. I expose the students to different types of poetry, reading poetry with proper fluency, writing poetry, comparing poetry, and looking at the structure of poetry. 
This spring, I decided to turn my "tree" bulletin board into a "Poet-Tree."
I decided that when I taught the students how to write haikus, I would have them write one for their mom and one about spring. Since our spring has been slow to arrive and everyone has been patiently awaiting spring, I figured that they would have fun writing poetry about spring. I was impressed with their haikus about spring. See for yourself...





This last poem pretty much nails it! He wrote this after we received some MORE snow on April 17th. I had to laugh when I read this, he was SPOT ON! 
Of course, we had many other great poems, but this is just a sampling! The students enjoyed writing haiku poems and the haiku's that they wrote for their mom's made my heart melt. I can't wait to see their new poems this week! 

3 comments:

  1. Love this! Where did you buy the cute letter for the title?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I just bought basic black cut out letters from the teacher's store and then mounted them on the circles that I bought there as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cool! How did you make the tree?

    ReplyDelete