Monday, June 23, 2014

It's Monday What Are You Reading?

It's Monday... it's summer... I have time... I'm reading a lot! 
I love reading and I love summer, therefore, I love reading in the summer. My family is getting a little tired of seeing me read...but I can't stop.



The first book that I read last week was We Are Called to Rise by Laura McBride. This story is told from multiple perspectives and all of these perspectives end up intertwining and contributing to this amazing story.  The story take place in Las Vegas and even includes a child's perspective. It took me 2.5 days to finish this story...I highly recommend this book for a great summer read! 


The next book that I read in 2 days was Fly a Little Higher by Laura Sobiech.  This book is based on a true story of a seventeen year old boy named Zach Sobiech from Minnesota who died from osteosarcoma last year.  After he died, his mom reflected on the past 3 years and wrote it all down in a book to help with the healing process. I knew how this book would end, but the messages in this story were moving. This book has plenty of parts that made me smile and plenty of parts that made me cry. My 8th grade daughter is currently reading it and can't put it down as well. My 10 year old is next in line after her.  Very moving book with lots of parts that will make you reflect on your own life. 


The next book that I read was The Alchemist by Paulo Coehlo.  This story just has so many wonderful messages and life lessons. I was constantly writing down lines from the book to save for reflection. This story focuses on  transforming the power of our dreams and the importance of listening to our hearts.


I just finished reading The Literacy Teacher's Playbook for Grades 3-5. I loved this book and gathered a lot of great thoughts and ideas for going into next school year.  So my next professional read is The Comprehension Experience by Hammond and Nessel.  This book talks about the importance of classroom talk and encouraging a deeper level of thinking in the classroom. This book came highly recommended to me and I am anxious to dig into it. 



No comments:

Post a Comment