Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Book Club for Students!

For 2014, I decided to start a class book club. Years ago, I had a group of 3rd grade students that were voracious readers and wanted to start a book club. They spoke to their parents and to their classmates and started their own monthly book club! It was so cute! They would pick a book, read it during that month, and then meet at the local coffee shop with their parents to talk about the book! I joined once or twice as I had my own little kids at the time and TIME was an issue! I only grimaced when they chose my favorite read aloud that I always read aloud in class, "The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane." I let it go...as I was just excited they were spending their extracurricular time reading and participating in a book club.
Now, I am forming a book club with my 4th grade students and including the 5th graders across the hall! I chose "Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library" by: Chris Grabenstein.  


Umm...this book rocks! It is absolutely awesome and I feel that Chris Grabenstein is a genius for writing this book! This book takes so many twists and turns, alludes to so many books, incorporates high interest topics that will hook readers, and makes everyone wish for a library like the library in Alexandriaville. I will be meeting with the students after school one day to have some treats and talk about this awesome book! Hoping to hook some readers and instill a love of reading in many of my students. 

1 comment:

  1. I will have to check this book out! Looks really good.

    ReplyDelete