Monday, January 20, 2014

"Let us resolve today to show more love and respect for each other..."

I love this letter! I love that when my mom retired from teaching, she gave it to me. I love that I am able to share it with my students every year! I love that it teaches young people that they can make a difference in our world. I love that it says, "If you start now to love and not hate others, then we will be able to create a world free from the threat of violence and war." Isn't this what it is all about? Loving others and being kind? 




Letter from Coretta Scott King to my mom's 5th grade class back in 1987.

I love to read the book, My Brother Martin by: Christine King Farris to my class each year.  I love that this book starts out with Martin Luther King Jr's famous words...

I love that when I read these words...my students look confused. I love that they will often say to me, "Was it really like that?"We read the book about Martin Luther King Jr. as a little boy and talk about hearing about Martin Luther King Jr. from his sister's perspective. This is a great book to use as an interactive read aloud. There is so much to talk about-vocabulary, perspective, the author's note...
Tomorrow, I will read Martin's Big Words and the "I Have a Dream Speech" to my class.  We will talk about how words can make a difference and how important it is to "show more love and respect for each other." As teachers, we have to keep teaching about kindness, love, and respect. Character is important and no one says it better than Martin Luther King Jr.

“I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.”
-Martin Luther King Jr. 

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful Message! It is our job as teachers and parents to leave this world a better place. One way we can certainly do so is by showing everyone more loving kindness.

    ReplyDelete